Musings of Alice

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Say it with Knitwear

When I first went to University I was determined to be myself. I arrived at the flat I was to share with 4 other people in the late morning on my 20th Birthday, 23rd of September 2003. (check out what month it is people!) It was a momentous day, and one I had been waiting for for my entire gap year. The sun shone, everyone was new and exciting, and my outlook on the life ahead couldn't have been more positive. Infact, I was so confident that I went up to people and introduced myself. It was liberating. Oddly. Now I think about it.

Thats pretty much how my mood remained for the whole term. It felt amazing because I was far away from all the people I knew at school who held all their preconceptions about me. I was so comfortable with myself for the first time in my life. It was on the third day there that I got out my knitting and sat in the kitchen making myself a new scarf for the winter. (thats the only thing I can knit) And my flatmates started to notice how I was capable of drinking more mugs of tea than all of them put together. My identity as a grandmother figure was born. And to be honest, I quite like it.

Three years on it seems like nothing much has changed, apart from my sunshiny outlook, which has been dulled down to a selfcontrolled glow. I was thinking about this today because I have recently started knitting again. This came about because my Mum, who's recovering from illness, said she wanted to make a quilt out of knitted squares, because she's bored of sitting around not able to do much. I said I'd help because I always like an excuse to knit... strange but true! I've made it my task for the rest of 2006 to learn how to knit more exciting things... maybe a jumper... oh and to get a job of course... damn, I knew there was something I should be doing... there's the procrastination again...

More anon dear folk

6 Comments:

Blogger Mr K said...

I'm not sure I've ever really gone up to people and introduced myself, even in the hey day of freshers week, excepting people I was living with, or happened to sit next to.... I am no entirely sure how I make friends. Some form of osmosis, I imagine.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

couldnt be bothered to e-mail u alice so thought i would post here -http://andyrewcoughlin.bebo.com - have eventually posted pics of the expedition (only took 2 years)

not sure what mr k is on about but i've got a great idea which is fun and also a confidence booster, just incase you need a boost of confidence (generally, not you specifically). What you do is go upto the best looking girl you've ever seen and tell her a joke or ask for directions just for the heck of it. Unless you've changed sexuality you may want to use this technique on a man, any how - time to go...

andy.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Haha! Well thankyou Andy, I will bear that in mind... I guess I could try it for fun, but i'm not really that desperate.... teehee! As for mr k, hehe!! I would be worried about the osmosis idea! Does that mean you are somehow physically attached to your friends... I find that quite disturbing, or is it that you have some kind of liquid based selection process... I refuse to think about this any more...

11:48 AM  
Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

I'm knitting a sweater (jumper) right now, and I seriously think I've strained my left wrist. It's sending tingles up into my thumb. I'm just hoping it will go away.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

ooo! how do you knit a sweater? how do you follow a knitting pattern come to that. I can't work them out! :o)

10:09 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I'm intrigued by knitting - I really can't understand how it works.
I think we're all tied to Kieran by the phantom hair that followed us all in first year - I'm sure there's a little bit of Kieran in most of my possesions.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home