Musings of Alice

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Old Friends New Friends

Now I don't mean to alienate any old friends by blogging like this, or indeed any new friends, but it has occured to me of late that, rather depressingly, my old friends have got rather thin on the ground... put another way, they have condensed, and become better, closer, more important, if you will, but that means I have inadvertantly lost some people along the way. In the meantime new friends seem to be sticking around in York, not wanting to move away yet. This gladdens me, naturally... yet it leaves me feeling a little concerned as to where and at what point in my recent past I lost touch with so many people. Just today I met an old friend in town... He seemed happy, and straight away told me of how great his life has been and how he is studying for another 5 years. "good for you" I said, or something to that effect, as I am genuinely happy for him. Again, he listed a few others of his recent successes... the tone of the conversation was clear, and I'm not entirely sure if he was pleased to see me as he just talked about himself and scurried of to work with his sandwich. The only thing I know is, in the past three years he hasn't changed a bit, and while as his friend I should let some of his annoying habits go, I'm now left with a distinct lack of "I DON'T CARE" syndrome. It's awful, as I never choose to go off people, but I can't say I'm that impressed by a person who practiacally begs for compliments, or alternatively, attempts to feign arrogance to get a rise. Am I alone in finding this happen with people I used to know? Am I a horrible horrible person?

Ah well, on to lighter topics...

Hair Cuts are bloody expensive these days. I remember being completely gobsmacked one day when I had my hair cut in a slightly more interesting style than usual, that the price was... £45!!!! Am I insane to think that this price is unreasonable? The only way I think it could be worth it is if they could guaruntee your hair would always look good for the next 2 years, or if they gave you the gift of flight, or a box of the most amazing chocolates ever made. I've known people to spend £70 on a haircut, and I make it known to them I think they're silly. Unless a haircut costs £10 - £15 I'm shocked. I think it comes from living in the north of England for too long. It's made me mean and miserly. Well, I'm off to dye my hair myself. £3.99... I can just about allow that. Hehe!

More anon dear folk. I'm off to drink tea... :o)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice!

Hello.

I am Toby, the bringer of anonymous comments!

I had my hair cut the other day, twas £6.50. Be you pleased?!

And to scare Kieran...hmmm...how about you pretend to be a box for a day? Or a pigeon?

Alternatively tell him that beer has died out. As has the World's population. That'll do the trick.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Mr K said...

That would be a little bit frightening yeah.....

3:32 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Why yes Toby that is quite acceptable. I approve. :o) I know mens haircuts are cheaper anyway, but I think that its quite sensible. After all there is less hair to cut and a hairdresser can't pretend to be a world famous artiste so much with mens hair. excellent.

:o)

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way Alice just to warn you about comments. They tend to refer to the actual blog in hardly any way at all and then people have discussions among themselves about something random. You'll find this happens a lot. No one knows why.

What else would scare you K? Hints, if you will.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Allie, know what you mean about the friends. It's weird, it seems that at YSJ I've got a group of good friends who've been there since the start and the rest seems to...I dunno, float in and out? It's like there seems to be a new group each year or something. I end up staying in touch with most somehow, but there are people from my first and second years that I haven't seen in ages.

'tis a shame really, but that said I know the ones that are worth keeping in touch with are still there when they're needed, whether it be in real life, or phone calls and MSN, that said I do know a few people who have gone AWOL that I wish hadn't.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home