Musings of Alice

Saturday, August 05, 2006

I'm Saved!

I was going about my daily business at home yesterday morning, tending to a sick parent, cleaning the kitchen, doing all those fun things one does at home, when the door bell rang... I opened the door not suspecting anything unusual and was confronted by two very prettily dressed little girls... one was around 10 years old, the other about 12. Quickly spotting the bible they were holding open I said "hello" with a slightly wary edge in my voice.

"Hello" they both replied "We thought you might like to hear a nice thought..."

I took a moment to process this, still trying to come to terms with the startling confrontation to my faith, made 10 times worse by the fact that these children looked up at me as if they had some kind of divine knowledge of all that is good.

"Er..." I jolted into action... "are you Jahovas Witnesses?"... I felt very dumb for saying this as it was very obvious... They were so sweet yet threatening, and as the younger one quickly jumped in with the question... "Do you have any beliefs at all? What do you think about religion?"... I felt extremely torn between my feelings of annoyance and not wanting to be horrible to such young girls, but I ended up saying in a rather awkward voice, as if I was back in the playground, "Well, actually I'm a strong Christian and I go to church as often as I can. I know what you believe and I'm afraid I don't agree with it."... They tried to keep me talking but I think they got the hint and left after saying thank you... Needless to say I felt a bit confused, and to be honest weirded out by the way in which two young girls were able to make me feel instantly guilty.... I tell you, they will be the ones you can't get rid of if they continue like that into their adult lives. I will be forever disturbed by my encounter with them.

By definition, this post must end here, as I have 15 minutes before I go to a Jools Holland concert. Undoubtedly That will be mentioned in my next entry.

More anon dear folk :o)

5 Comments:

Blogger Mr K said...

yeah, Jehovahs witnesses keep sending small children, which I think is hardly fair, perhaps because they kept getting people inviting them and undermining their faith or something, and people would feel too mean doing it to kids...

11:55 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

What kind of parents are these people!?
Who sends their kids off to random people's houses to preach about the bible (I'm pretty certain that children do not suddenly choose to go and preach to people on a whim).
This reminds me of some article I read about Jesus Camp in America.
What happens if someone invites these kids into their house? It all seems more than a bit wrong to get your kids to walk up to a strangers door.

I probably would have questioned there beliefs and attempted to shatter them in a friendly manner. I think it would be for the best in the long run.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

I forgot to ask, were they like the kids from Village of the Damned as I imagine them to be?

5:32 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Hehe! Well I do wonder how one brings up a child to be so confident and sure of what they are saying about the bible. I believed in God when I was little, but I didn't go around talking about it as if I was some kind of dively inspired being. They were scary because they were so pretty and angelic looking and they spoke in really sugary happy voices. It is definitely the kind of thing that inspires horror movie writers, and indeed, freaky comedies like league of gentlemen and little britain. either way, it would need much emphasis to be classed as frightening! :o)

8:48 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

I mean it wouldn't need much emphsis... I completely scuppered my own point there...doh!

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home