Musings of Alice

Friday, August 11, 2006

Hippos are graceful in Water

Something has occured. Something that I never expected to happen... I have fallen victim to... DROD! For anyone who is a little confused, that is the acronym for Dungeon Rooms Of Death... doesn't it sound dreadful! Its a game downloaded from online, and I am busy working my way through the demo. (I'm too mean to invest in the whole game!) I don't know whether its the charmingly naive graphics and cheaply produced sound effects, or the fact that I am hideously bored and will do anything to avoid having to write job applications. Either way, I'm hooked. It involves killing cockroaches, and genrally masquerading as an ogre-like man with a sword and a wayward nephew who you seem to have brought along and consequently endangered his life. Its kind of fun, and I'm not one for games. I find it easy to play, which is rare. It's actually hilarious. I've played XBox games for a few years now and I will freely admit to being one of those girls who has to sway my whole body in the direction I'm going on-screen. And then...inevitably...I crash! There is no getting away from the absurdness of this new found enjoyment of computer generated games. And I'm actually not half bad. (Ok, I'm not on the most difficult of levels yet, but it's a start!)

Moving away from that startling admission, I have also been benefitting from the pleasures of swimming. In fact I think it's safe to say that I'm fitter than I've ever felt in my life. At school I always came in last in the cross country run, always felt excrutiatingly self-consious in my red PE kit, and always moved like a hippopotamus in all sports, be it in Tennis, Hockey, or Gym. It was torture... but now I'm much more comfortable with my ridiculousness, and have resolved to stick the proverbial middle finger to anyone who smirks in my general direction as I emerge from the changing rooms in my swimmimg costume. As it is, they don't really look because they're far too involved in their own business: A lesson I have learned in latter years. I'm still intimidated by 13 year-olds though. I'm sure I'll get over that one day! Nevertheless I'm now feeling all the aches and pains that I complain of so much just disappear, so I'm very pleased. I sound like a woman of 70 rather than 22! I think I'd best be off...

More anon dear folk... Its way past my bedtime...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An ogre like man...you'd think they'd started making games about the manager at my work! Scary concept :-O

11:58 AM  
Blogger Mr K said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Hmmm now I have met the slayer I'm not sure I'm so keen on this game. What ever happened to making it easy?! He's a bastard!! It's a puzzle game alright....and it's evil!!!
More anon.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

At least you'll be prepared for the Wii with all that swaying about!

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home