Musings of Alice

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Remember Remember

I have been to two Firework displays this weekend of 5th of November, and it was marvelous. On Saturday we went to Mayflower Park, a rather fairground dominated fireworks display, but it was great being by the waterfront and watching the fireworks set off from a barge on the estuary. K and I went along with some friends I made when I started going to Highfield Church, so it was a rather organised evening, and we ended up going to someones home for hot dogs and cheesecake and tea. Jolly good I say! I am particularly fond of this photo......because it came out just how I wanted, which is a rare occasion. In the distance is a cruise liner (if she's famous I know not) but her siren was let off to signal the beginning and ending of the display. The fireworks we saw weren't the official ones: they were being saved for monday night... ...which is when I went to a bonfire party with Elina, who plays in the orchestra I've just joined. We had mulled wine, corn on the cob, and toffee apples... and some Halloween hang-on's made an appearance...
There was a proper bonfire, and a somewhat disturbingly well thought out hanging and burning of the guy...
...here, Guy is dragged to the fire on a chair, which was not really for any reason except that he was a rather fragile, newspaper Guy...
...so fragile in fact that his body didn't make it to the hanging... his burning head can be seen swinging from the washing line while his legs are in the bofire...
...kind of sadistic really, which is something I've always thought about this bizarre tradition we English keep up. Burning ephigies usually happens just once, in protest rioting, along with burning of the flags of enemy countries. I wonder why this particular event turned into an annual one night of subdued political triumph and parade for something that happened in the 17th century. It was also a weird evening because I only knew one person. Such is life when you move somewhere new. I really love talking to new people though, as there's really nothing to lose...

Alas, it is my bed time...

More anon ;o)

2 Comments:

Blogger Boo and Trev said...

Bonfire night is bizarre. Especially if you're a Catholic!

9:43 AM  
Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

Oh gosh. I've been having this conversation with friends of mine in Brighton ... bonfire night is MUCH better than halloween ... where repressed young women use it as an excuse to dress like ... umm ... sluts, for lack of a better word. I think that the whole Guy thing is way better, because there's historical context.

This year, I was Pete Doherty, though, and Cait was Carl Barat. It was BRILLIANT.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home