Musings of Alice

Friday, November 02, 2007

Temping, Pumpkins and Cats

Just to explain, blogging about anything at the moment seems pointless, mainly because I am finding life a bit dull. I live in a great flat, in a nice place, with a supportive allbeit strange flatmate,(:oD) but I'm still feeling kind of useless because of my lack of purpose. It's ok to be out of work for a few weeks, but now it's starting to feel like sending off for things is a waste of my time. There are plenty of people who have said to me that getting a job after Uni is difficult and that I shouldn't feel bad if it takes a while.

My new job seeking tactic is to sign up to temping agencies, and also to look for a couple of days work to fill in some of the time I've been spending humming and hahhing about not having work. I went to the doctors, partially to ask if there were any coping strategies she could recommend to help me feel better about the situation. To my surprise she has recommended I see a counselor for a couple of sessions. It's weird to think that's what I might need but I think maybe it actually might help. I'm prone to being a little sad at times, and with nothing to do I guess I have time to think about what makes me sad, which is currently my lack of work. It's easy to work out what's wrong, but not quite so easy to solve the problem alone.

On to more jolly things though, as I am currently really quite a jolly lass, I went to a Halloween Party. I had planned to go as a pumpkin, purely because I think it's a fairly hilarious concept to walk around for a few hours as a giant orange vegetable. I was all for making my own costume, so I went to B&Q to try to buy one of those paper lantern lampshades that cost about £2. I wanted to get the biggest size so that I could cut the bottom and top off and somehow fit myself inside with some ribbon to make shoulder straps and paint it. Marvelous fun would have been had. However, although they had one the right size, they wouldn't let me buy it as it was for display purposes only. This was a sad turn of events, but I decided to walk back to the other end of Portswood road (the longest road in the known universe, or maybe just in the UK) Alas, I ended up buying a hairband, some black and white felt, and black insulation tape, and making a cat costume instead. Simple but effective.

Turned out the theme of the Halloween party was not just scary Halloween cliches, but more generally, political incorrectness, one of my favourite party themes *SIGH*. Therefore, rather tasteless costumes were on display. Kieran's "Zombie Kieran" costume (which was really quite awful) and my cat costume rather paled in comparison. For example, one guy was dressed as a Marlborough cigarette box with the label "smoking makes you live longer" on it, another was dressed as Freddie Kruger, and another was dressed as something I won't spell out that involved wearing orange overalls. Maybe my costume could have been changed to "objectification of women", but I fear I wasn't showing enough flesh to justify that one.

I'll see if I can put some pictures up later.

More anon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home