Musings of Alice

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Jobsearch

Hello blog readers! are you still out there?

Life has seemed difficult to write about lately, so I haven't been doing much blogging once again.

I had two job interviews last week. The first for a job I didn't want but was fairly sure I'd get, and the second which I did want, but which I knew would be more difficult to get, which made the week kind of stressful. However, I was highly relieved that my 6 weeks of making phone calls, waiting, filling in application forms and more waiting finally seemed to be going somewhere!

The first interview was for a job at Southampton General Hospital as an administrator and I had two so called interviews for that job. For the first one I arrived 15 minutes early and got a really bad impression. The office was at the end of a long corridor with no natural light. It was drab and there was no organisation in terms of a welcome or an explanation of what they did or what the job would be. Nobody offered me a drink or made an effort to represent the company to me. After 10 minutes of hanging around I was given a test, not an interview at all. It was a spelling and grammar test which asked you to fill in questions such as,

1) Fill in the blank in this sentence using one of the words provided:
John ...................... the ball to James. a) throwed b) threw c) threwed d) throw
Tracy found her passport in the ........................ . a) drwaer b) draw c) drawer d) drow

There were lists and lists of this and I nearly fell asleep. I guess there is a reason why a test like that exists, but the thing was 7 pages long! Needless to say I got a second interview for that job.

From that first impression I wasn't looking forward to the second interview at all but I thought it would be wrong to not to turn up and I wanted to give it a second chance. That plan backfired though, as the man interviewing introduced himself as Gordon and described himself 'un-politically correct' which he seemed to find rather funny. I wasn't sure what he meant but I knew I'd find out so I kept an open mind for about a minute until he asked me 'so, boyfriends. Do you have one? Are you planning to have any babies or are you trying for a baby?' and he explained that the previous person in the job 'surprise surprise' got pregnant and 'left of her own attrition'... (hmmmm, I thought, this man is an idiot) and then the nail in the coffin was 'it had nothing to do with anything I said to her, it was totally her decision'.... so he was a slimy nasty man and I answered all his other questions like 'what makes you laugh?', what makes you swear?' and some other equally unprofessional banter.

I got offered the job, faked 'considering my options' for a couple of days, and then called to refuse it. The thing is, I'm fine with doing a bit of skivvy work, but the job was not the only thing that was bad there and I think I'm better off without it somehow! In theory I could write to the hospital and tell them about him and he would be reprimanded at least but possibly sacked. Maybe I should. I'm glad I wasn't stupid enough to take the job. In fact I'm sure they were looking for someone stupid, in which case I'm not what they're looking for!

I still can't quite believe how awful it was there. It was appalling.

Anyway, shaking that off, the other job I went for I didn't get either, but the interview was a much nicer experience, which means I had a fair chance of getting it, and not getting it just means that someone else fitted the bill better.

Ho hum... so I'll keep searching and see what happens.

More anon

3 Comments:

Blogger Mr K said...

That guy really does sound like the most awful man in existence. People who actively describe themselves as not politically correct get me irate anyways....

11:54 AM  
Blogger Boo and Trev said...

That is actually illegal to ask you about your baby plans. Sounds like a creepy perv to me. Why was he denying having anything to do with the last person leaving if it didn't have anything to do with it.
Better off out of it

1:11 AM  
Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

Oh, my. I think that it's best you refused that job ... imagine working every day with someone like that? Bleaugh.

I was worried about you ... you seem to have been stuck somewhere else, too. Although, job hunting ... always time consuming and soul-crushing. Almost as bad as applying for PhD programs. *sigh*

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home